Saturday, July 31, 2010

Sunny AZ

Let me just say that leftover Cracker Barrell Apple Dumpling might be the best breakfast ever. It might even edge out family-secret pancakes, lol.

We are sitting quietly in our hotel in Sunisites, AZ, enjoying our breakfast, while I slowly type this out on my phone (thanks CJ). It's a blessedly slow morning. There's not much to this town, so there's no reason to rush. It's a nice change of pace.

I saw my grandpa yesterday for the first time in almost 15 years. He turns 80 today, and he looks good. He was surprised to see me, but far more surprised to see his sister - who he hadn't seen in 16+ years, and had thought never to see again. My tough-as-tumbleweed grandpa had to wipe tears from his eyes as he watched his big sis across the dinner table.

One of the blessings of being single and a teacher is the ability to travel. Because God gave me a heart for people, I usually travel to see someone (like my sis and her family). Once in a great while I take a detour that's just as much about the place (like Chicago) on my way to see someone. That's why this trip is perfect. People and places. Watching Grandpa last night, so amazed to see his sister, so ovewhelmed by everything going on around him confirms this for me. Unless someone I love moves to Hawaii or Italy (or teachers start getting paid what they're worth), I may never see the world. That's okay, though. I am thankful I can still spend time with my favorite people in the random locations they call home.

No comments: