Tis the season for random wandering. I've lost count of how many people I know heading out this week for some sort of adventure. I just learned about 5 more. My own trip is July 19 - August 10. I've got time... but I'm ready to leave now. Right now.
I love travelling. I enjoy "discovering" new wonders. I also love revisiting favorites. I try to include a little bit of each on every one of my trips. This summer I get to do both, as I will explore several national wonders (Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Redwoods National Forest, Crater Lake) and connect with friends/family at several points along the way. As an added bonus, I get to drive.
As a kid, most of my vacations were road-trips - usually to visit family. Sometimes to go camping with friends. That's probably a big part of why I love the roads - especially at night. I only remember one flying vacation as a kid, and that was to visit family as well. Traveling for me has always been about spending time with people who make you laugh.
I remember loading up the van the night before. We had one of the pre-minivan1980's vans... with a built in bed for travelling and very few seatbelts. There was storage under the bed for our gear, and a place to strap a cooler between the Pilot and the Navigator.
I remember waking up ridiculously early. Climbing into the van before it was full daylight. Snuggling my baby-doll and twisting myself up into blankets and sleeping bags - but struggling hard to stay awake. First stop... McDonalds!
I remember pancake breakfasts on styrofoam plates. Sawing away at them with those stupid plastic knives without teeth. Super-sweet orange juice in plastic cups. Last chance to use the restroom. On the road with the sun.
I remember reading while my parents drove. Folding maps. Backseat bingo. Rest-areas. Truckers. CB radios. The ABC game. The quiet game, when my sister and I got too annoying. Poking my sister so she'd loose the quiet game.
I don't really remember arriving. It happened. I know it did, because I remember some of the adventures we had after we arrived. Like the camping trip in the rain when my EF bag turned my baby blue. And the time in NC when my brothers tricked me into thinking frisbee could be played like monkey-in-the-middle. Oh, and building a "go cart" with my cousins - but forgetting to put wheels on. Yea, we decided to use it anyway.
I do remember coming home. The thrill of seeing favorite toys and neighborhood friends again. The fun of getting my pictures developed and discovering that my thumb was highly photogenic. The relief of sleeping in my own bed after weeks away.
I love travel. Thank God I get the opportunity to enjoy it so often.
No comments:
Post a Comment