We put Bill through his paces yesterday. Took him for a trial run down to the south side of Mt. St. Helens. This is not his first clambake, though. We've been to the beach (3 hours W) and to Portland (3 hours S) a couple times each since he joined the family in December. It was more like a warm-up session for next week's grand adventure. He did well. Though I'm still not thrilled with the MPG, the comfort of the ride was reassuring - even when I was playing passenger.
We leave in 6 days.
The gear is piled up. Tent -check! Sleeping bags - check! Cooler -check! Melita -check! (Coffee is a non-negotiable for me, and I learned a few years ago that not every highway offers the abundance of java joints that I have grown accustomed to after 11 years in latte-land).
Now we begin packing the clothes. Because this trip includes camping and hotels, picnics and parties, I'm starting to feel like EVERYTHING I own is in the pile. This is unacceptable. 9 years ago I would've packed a backpack and called it good. Now my accessories (shoes, bag, wrap/sweater for those desert nights...) take up nearly that much space on their own! Every time I think I can eliminate something (like the hair-iron, for example), it reasserts itself as being indispensable (have you seen the pictures from yesterday?).
Today I'm getting Bill serviced. Oil change, tires rotated. Then we'll wash up and head home. I'll start loading all that stuff in. Gear on one side, clothes on the other. I am determined to take not more than 2 bags. Wish me luck!
All I can say is, I hope I get to do some laundry.
No comments:
Post a Comment